24 de abril de 2011

Case History de Boris Mikhailov

"This series of photos is not actually my latest work. It is a cycle called "Case History", that I might equally call the "clinical file of a disease". It took shape round 1997-1998. A big city, such as Harkov, offered me a great deal of raw material. And I did not miss it, I did not ignore it. I tried to capture the feeling of their helplessness, of their social oppression; I one witnessed a scene whereby a strong young man caviled at a poor guy passing by and kicked him hard. I even thought I had heard the poor man’s bones break. Nobody noticed it, either those nearby, or the militia man patrolling close by. I felt guilty, as I often feel guilty of things I see and take pictures of. Many people tell me that they have noticed such guys only after seeing my photos. Before, they didn’t have eyes for them. I could not say that I am a "chronographer" above all, because I am selecting, even sniffing situations for a long time. They say about me, and now I am repeating myself – because I like the comparison – that I proceed like a cat hiding, watching. I am waiting for the best moment to push the button of the camera. Eventually I do show the raw, direct, non-mediated photographic image. I am not trying to take pictures of sensational things, but rather of those things which are in excess. I am trying to find the unique in that manifold reality itself."


 
















"El arte de Mikhailov convierte lo prohibido en visible. Nos muestra lo que normalmente sólo se le permite al demente y al artista: la conexión entre violencia, lujuria y estabilidad social. Los espectadores de su obra que cierran los ojos ante ella confirman lo que sus imágenes impiden desconocer: que debemos prescindir de la porción execrable de la sociedad porque su existencia no debe integrarse en nuestra conciencia; y no puede integrarse en nuestra conciencia porque es el Otro reprimido." 
(Anne von der Heiden)